SUMMARY OF ORDINANCES
- Pets are prohibited on the beach strand during summer months from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Pets must be on a physical leash at all times when off owner’s private property
- Beach equipment (chairs, tents, umbrellas, toys etc.) cannot be left between 6 p.m. and 7 a.m.
- Storage of these items in the dunes area is also prohibited
- Digging holes in the sand deeper then 12 inches is prohibited
- Walking on or otherwise being on any part of a frontal sand dune is strictly prohibited
- Driving on the beach with any motorized vehicle is restricted to emergency and government vehicles
- Personal watercraft are restricted from being closer than 500 feet of the beach strand
- While cycling is allowed on the roadway, it is well documented that it is dangerous when no dedicated lane is available. For this reason, cyclists are strongly encouraged to share the sidewalk with pedestrians whenever possible.
- Cyclists are required to adhere to all laws that apply to motor vehicles, including stop signs.
- Cyclist are not allowed to unduly impede the regular flow of traffic. For this reason, cyclists should always travel in a single file line and not two or more abreast.
- Open burning is prohibited within the municipal limits of the Town of Holden Beach
- Grills must be at least 10 feet from any part of any structure and cannot be on a deck
- Fireworks (ALL except sparklers) are strictly prohibited anywhere on the Island
Golf Carts/Low Speed Vehicles
- Golf carts are not allowed on any roadway in North Carolina. The vehicles you see on the roads are actually Low Speed Vehicles (LSV).
- These are required to be registered with the State as a LSV.
- They must be inspected annually and have an auto insurance policy.
- You must have a driver’s license to operate a LSV.
- Car seats and booster seats are required for all children.
- LSVs must be driven in the regular traffic travel lane, not on the sidewalk.
- Operators of LSVs are encouraged to pull over when traffic is backed up behind them.
- Must follow all parking rules that apply to motor vehicles
- Solicitation is prohibited on the island
- Unlicensed vehicles, trailers, etc. are prohibited
- Loud noise is restricted on the Island with decibel requirements that are more restrictive at night
Parking: Parking is restricted in many areas and in many different ways. These restrictions include:
- Any part of the right-of-way of Ocean Boulevard East and West.
- Any part of any travel lane/roadway
- Handicap spaces require tag or placard
- On sidewalks, at intersections, in fire lanes,
- At any emergency beach access (even loading/unloading is prohibited)
- Blocking of driveways, mailboxes, fire hydrants, crosswalks, accessways
- Facing wrong direction
For complete details, visit http://hbtownhall.com/ordinances.html