Town of Holden Beach

 North Carolina

The Family Beach






(910) 842-6707

Emergency Calls 

If you need Police, Fire or Emergency Medical Services, Please Call 911. Even if you do not think you  have an Emergency, it is the standard locally to call 911 for all services (even non-emergencies)  required from these agencies. Our 911 operators are trained to obtain critical information about your  specific call for service and can provide life saving instructions when needed, so please be patient and  answer all of their questions accurately. Doing so will provide you with the best service in the most  efficient manner possible.

Also, if you are inside a house, please call 911 from the house phone (instead of a cell  phone) if at all possible. This will provide the operators with your location information and save  valuable time in a true emergency.

 Motor Scooters

Motor scooters fall into two different definitions in North Carolina, motorcycles or mopeds. A moped  must not go faster than 30 mph, must have an engine smaller than 50cc and must have no shifting  device. If the scooter does not meet all of these, it is considered a motorcycle and subject to all the  laws governing motorcycles, including motorcycle licensing, registration, insurance and inspection.

If the scooter does meet the standards above, you still MUST be at least 16 years old to operate it  and must wear an approved safety helmet at all times.



The Town has provided sidewalks on the entire length of Ocean Blvd. For your safety, it is requested  that everyone walking, cycling, jogging or running use the sidewalk and stay off Ocean Blvd. This  allows for more efficient traffic flow and safety for all. Please be reminded that according North  Carolina State Law, all persons under 16 years old MUST wear an approved safety helmet while  riding a bicycle.


Aquatic Life Stings 

If you are subjected to the unfortunate event of being stung by a jelly fish or sting ray please call  911.  DO NOT treat it yourself with meat tenderizer or other household remedies. Some of these  methods are very outdated and proven potentially harmful. At the very least, they could prolong the  discomfort instead of relieving it. Our local First Responders and Emergency Medical Personnel are  trained with the most current treatment methods and will respond promptly. Most of the time, they  can treat you without the need for transportation to a hospital. This, of course, must be determined  on a case by case basis. As always, if you have a medical condition or specific instructions from your  doctor for incidents of this nature, please follow those instructions accordingly.


Other Items of Interest

  •  Personal vehicles are not allowed on the beach strand
  • All pets must be on leash at all times and are restricted from the strand, summer months 9 a.m. - 5: p.m. 
  • Open fires and fireworks of any kind are prohibited (except sparklers)
  • Fishing in all coastal water requires a State issued license.
  • Digging large holes on beach strand is prohibited. If deeper than 12 inches, must be filled before leaving it.
  • All tents, umbrellas, volleyball nets, etc should not be left overnight. These items and large holes in the sand create an unnecessary risk for walkers and emergency responders  at night.  
  • Please lock your vehicles and houses whenever left unattended. Don’t be the victim of an  opportunist.

For further information on any of these topics and others, please call the Holden Beach Police  Department at 910-842-6707.


Golf Carts

In the State of North Carolina, if a golf cart is to be operated on the streets, highways or public  vehicular areas, it is considered a motor vehicle and subject to all laws, rules and regulations that  govern motor vehicles. In short, the golf cart must have all of the following: 

  • Headlights
  • Tail lights
  • Turn signals
  • Rear view mirrors
  • State Inspection Sticker
  • License Plate Issued by NCDMV
  • Liability Insurance
  • The driver must have a current, valid Drivers License
  • Child Restraint Laws must be followed

Since most Golf carts are purchased and a bill of sale is given to the buyer, the owner must apply for  a  title through the NC License Plate Office. In order to receive a title through this agency, you must  have a notarized bill of sale and proof of liability insurance. If the golf cart is purchased from a dealer , you must also have the certificate of origin for the vehicle.

All of the streets in the Town (including the side streets) are considered streets or public vehicular  areas according to the State Law. This means that to operate a golf cart anywhere on the island, you  must meet the standards above. Also, golf carts may not be operated on streets with posted speed  limit greater than 35 mph.



Police Chief Wally Layne


Frank Dilworth

Jeremy Dixon
Adam Milligan
Mike Hamilton
Jessica Camara
Brandon Dosher

Sean Watson


Chaplain Eddie Hill








Links and Forms

 Protect Your Home

Keep Check

Records Request

Property Registration

Lost Property

Found Property

Compaint Form

Request for 911 Records